This is an important question every member should be asking themselves. Philippians 2:13 says
God wants to work in you so that you may do “His good pleasure.” 1 Corinthians 12:18 tells us “God
has set the members, each one of them, in the body as it pleased Him.” Each member of the body of
Christ is expected to supply something (1) to God’s glory and (2) for the good of the entire body. Yet
all members do not have the same function (Romans 12:4). What is your function? What are you
doing to support the Lord’s Church? Here are a few things you can do:
- Attend Regularly – You are missed when you are not present at church assemblies. You are
part of the family and we love to see you!
- Give Generously – Consider God’s work when you evaluate your financial standing, but this
goes far beyond giving money. Give of your time. Give of your talents.
- Love Passionately – Think of others! Do something nice for someone else. Seek opportunities
to express your love for others, and enjoy that moment when you put a smile on someone else’s
- Bring Others Consistently – Is it really that painful to tell someone you are a Christian and
follow that up with an invitation to come visit the church? Try it! You’ll be surprised how
many people say “yes.”
- Volunteer Joyfully – Pick up the weekly bulletin and find something you can help accomplish.
Teach a kid’s class. Bring communion to a shut-in. Visit someone in the hospital. Ask the
elders where you can assist.
- Fellowship Purposely – Commit to participating in church functions. It’s an absolute joy to
participate in functions where EVERYBODY attends. Don’t “try to make it.” Just commit and
- Pray Fervently – Here’s where the real power of Christianity can be found. Pray every day and
bring God into everything you do. Pray for others also.
- Encourage Faithfully – When you park your car in the church parking lot, before you exit the
car, think of someone specific to encourage and think of the exact words you want to say. Then
go do it!
- Work Energetically – Try very hard to go about your business with a smile on your face and
with purpose in your step. Make a to-do list and start checking off the boxes as you accomplish
what you’ve planned to do. It is very satisfying to know you’ve done something for the Lord.
It will feed your energy level.
Paul says “the whole body is joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to
the effective working by which every part does its share, causing growth of the body for the edifying of
itself in love” (Ephesians 4:16). Your contribution, however great or small, is very important to the
health of the church. We need you!